lørdag den 5. marts 2011

The great adventures of Slick Rick


I've had this in my collection for a long but only recently given it a proper second listen which I now realize I should have done a lot earlier. Honestly, this is one of the most charismatic albums there has ever been released. Every single song is "story telling" and tells a story about something he has witnessed (quite a few are probably fiction) in such a humouristic way.
I think Jay-Z said in his book that Slick Rick was a master of expressing feelings that he couldn't name so he kindda made funny stories and let the story itself reflect how he felt at the time (the ending of Children's Story is a prime example of that).

When it comes to studying the art of telling stories through rap, this album is the blueprint. You can clearly hear how someone like Eminem was influenced by this album if you listen to a song like Brain Damage.

The production is quite boring although I gotta say that I love the old school sound on some of the tracks (mostly Teenage Love).

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar